Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First day of school... Done and Done.

So, I had my first day back at University today. I was sooooo excited despite knowing what I was in for. But I'm actually less worried about Statistics then I was yesterday, although I did discover that I'm in the "harder" Stats Lab. But the "easier" lab does not fit into my schedule, so I guess I'm stuck!

And I think that Linguistics will go fairly well, but it's going to be one of those classes that I'm really going to have to work at and study a lot for. I doubt it will come naturally to me... But truthfully, book learning does not come very naturally to me at all, ever. I don't know why, because I really enjoy school and learning, but I'm a very hands on - figure it out as you go kind of person. SO this will be a challenge, but it is a challenge that I'm up for!

And then there was my History 411 class. This is a seminar class, which I know would mean a lot of reading, and writing, and some more reading. And of course, talking about the reading in class. Now, it's not that I don't complete the assigned readings or have opinions about the readings, but I just take a second to think about what I want to say, or what the answer is. Which generally means that by the time I have thought about what I want to say, someone else has already said it. So all I can contribute is a really intelligent "What they said.", or "I agree with that." But what truly terrifies me more then anything is the fact that I will have to give a presentation in front of the class (which is fairly small) and that presentation is worth 20% of my grade!! CRAP!! I am terrified of speaking in front of classes. I started to cry as he was explaining it. I don't know why it is that I can do somethings easily, and other things not so much! For example - Leading a 40 person orientation at work = easy, speaking in front of 10 people and a professor who is an expert = panic attack and uncontrollable sobbing. I am not looking forward to this all, but I will have to figure it out because it's 20% and I am not losing that much of my grade. I think I might try talking to my prof and see if I can beg, borrow and steal my way around this somehow. *sigh*

But I'm not going to stress about that right now, because I have two more brand new classes to stress about tomorrow.

If anyone has any advice to get through dreaded public speaking, leave it in the comments below!!

1 comment:

  1. I now have a second class presentation to do in my Anthropology class... Wonderful. My professors are trying to induce a mental breakdown now.

    ReplyDelete